Sunday, July 20, 2008

A whole day without talking

Serious. Okay, so I probably uttered (painfully) about 5 sentences, max.

I've heard of a form of meditation where you don't talk to anyone for a whole day and see what that does to you, and unfortunately I woke up this morning without a choice.

I was hoping to wake up with at least the ability to speak, and when I was awoken by a phone call, I realized I couldn't even say "hello".

Freaked out considering that I have to work tomorrow, and that will be impossible without a voice, I made a conscious effort to not even try to talk today.

Here are some things I discovered about myself and others.

1. Since I don't know the real sign language, I made my own up. Here are some highlights:
- Devil Horns/Rock Hand = "Thank You"
- Middle finger = STFU/Stop teasing the fact that I can't talk/You suck.
- Hands together parallel to mouth- Done/Closed
- Salute = "will do"
- Self-Point = "I'm just like that"/"I agree"/"Give me some tea"
- Tapping of throat = "I can't answer your question, I'm mute right now"

2. People will totally talk themselves into a circle if you don't interrupt them with your own talking. Also, they think that you're bored/ignoring/mad if you don't respond, so I was definitely nodding my head alot.

3. Going to something like a ballet performance is prolly the best social thing you can do, since noone expects you to talk anyway.

4. I thought it was hilarious that these strangers sitting next to us think i'm "quiet" or "shy".

5. My friends are very helpful, like when they ask the waiter if they have honey for my tea for me. Or when they read my mind when I'm thinking "please don't touch my food..you didn't wash your hands".

6. You don't need to talk to dance. Although, I did miss my voice a lot when a song came on the radio that I wanted to belt out...

7. Getting someone else's blackberry to type my thoughts and frustrations out is a fast an efficient way to have a conversation. Writing a "IM" on a piece of paper is anything but instant.

8. My facial expressions are still pretty funny, and apparently I can get a lot across that way.

9. When my friends are talking about vibrators at a coffee shop, my facial expressions are even funnier, since I can't comment.

10. You can't put your foot in your own mouth if you can't talk!


So anyway, yeah freaked out about work, I've drank a lot of tea/hot water..and I'm hoping/praying/going to sacrifice a little cute animal that I can speak when I wake up tomorrow...

No comments: