Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wondercon: Day 2 aka the day that Darth Maul hugged me.

Star Trek Convention In Las Vegas - Day 2


YES people that's right. If you're a friend of mine you probably have an inkling that I like star wars. If you've ever talked to me about star wars you'd prolly know that my favorite character of all time is Darth Maul (put your knives down, kids).

Let me list out what happened quickly before I forget and digress into full darth love.


















The list.

1. Woke up too late to go to the Watchmen panel. Heard that it was really crowded anyway.

2. Tried to get into the Star Trek Panel, but I did not. It filled up too quickly (this was NOT a problem at the last one...they had it in a smaller room this time for some ungodly reason)

3. Got to meet Ray Park. (Darth Maul, more detail later)

4. Discovered that David Mack was there. He's my favorite comic artist. He does some crazy shit. What happened was last year he was a featured artist & I had no idea he was there. I found him, talked to him, pretty much acted like a fangirl around him and bought 3 of his prints. He then proceeded to give me his entire collection of comics and signed everything for free. This time around, I bought more of his artwork & he's going to sign the other comic i bought at a comic book shop too. As you can tell from the length of this paragraph, I'm pretty nuts about the guy.

5. Found the clown's booth. The one from yesterday. He remembered my name. They're actually not creepy, but their job was to get killed periodically by a ninja in their booth.
Apparently from their sign:
Clowns: 0, Ninjas 15.

6. Went to this workshop on managing your time & organizing your life to create art.
Unfortunately, this workshop was neither organized or managed well and I walked out early and disappointed.

7. Went to the Masquerade. It was much different then I had anticipated. I thought it was going to be a ball..noooo it was more of a "let's watch people who handmade their own costumes act out a small skit". That was a pleasant surprise. I didn't stay to see who won, but there was this badass skit of guys dressed in Cobra suits. Essentially, Snake Eyes came in & started kicking their asses (they referred to him as a "Merchandising Whore"). The main Cobra guy ended up morphing power rangers style (pretty amazing shit) and..well..it was just freaking awesomely funny that it was put on by amateurs.

8. Met my friends at a bar after, but I ended up not drinking. I don't know, I had such a cool day that I ended up getting bored at the bar.

Okay, on to the thing that made me hella giddy.
DARTH MAUL

First of all, if you don't know who I' m talking about, check out this awesome vid:

(this wasn't at wondercon, I probably would have fainted if I saw this)

The guy's a badass, okay? He actually was going to just be the stunt double but then they had him...you know what I'm gonna digress too much. The fact is, I got to meet the guy.

You know how some celebrities, when you meet them you're a little disappointed 'cause they're not as hot or as nice as you would like?

NOT DARTH MAUL. He's fucking hot. And not just that, he has this accent. and not just that, he takes the time and actually talks to each fan for a while. Like he talked to me for a while about things, I told him he was my favorite character, and he told me his was Han Solo (heartstrings..tugged), and further went on to theorize about whether or not he would have chosen his character had he been younger. I actually felt like a dumbass, here I was talking to darth maul and all i could do was laugh & smile. In fact, I think I could have talked for longer with him had i not been so starstruck. like. SRS starstruck. It was amazing.

He even let me take a picture with him. As I was leaving, I asked, Can i have a hug?
AND HE FUCKING STOOD UP AND HUGGED ME.

After that, I also ran into david mack (detailed above).

I turned to my friend Jennifer and said "okay, you know what? I could miss every panel they have after this point and I am Totally fine. That is exactly what I wanted to do."

I am so happy right now. It's insane. I'm surprised you read to all the way down here.

Also: Wired Magazine's Faces of Wondercon 2009

No comments: