Friday, June 12, 2009

I think I just saw Elvis. How do I copyright that?

Elvis Presleys Graceland grand piano set to fetch $1m at auction
I was looking at the US Copyright Office & found this FAQ:
"How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?"

Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis. File your claim to copyright online by means of the electronic Copyright Office (eCO). Pay the fee online and attach a copy of your photo. Or, go to the Copyright Office website, fill in Form CO, print it, and mail it together with your photo and fee. For more information on registration a copyright, see SL-35. No one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the original photograph, not the subject of the photograph.


Hmm. It's asked enough to be in the FAQ.

To be safe I used a picture from picapp.com. I didn't want to get into copyright problems posting a copyright blog...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing the information.

A professional copywriter helps you to make additional profits with each single campaign. But these strategies don’t involve any flashy gimmicks here instead the use of powerful persuasion techniques helps to create a base of customers who are loyal to the business and help in creating a brand out of the small business.